He spent the pandemic well. What a year!
In the year since the New Zealand Covid-19 lockdown ended in late April 2020 I completed 72 hikes (“tramps” in the NZ vernacular), and fifteen shorter walks. …
- 68,500m (~225,000ft) of ascent and descent
- Almost 900km (~550mi) of walking
- On 64 of these hikes I climbed to a peak or other high point, ranging between 445m and 2333m high, and averaging 1000m of ascent and descent each time
- 58 of these high points were named peaks over 1000m of elevation, so I incidentally completed the 52 Peaks Challenge
- All of these tramps were on New Zealand’s South Island
… the best views were on the tramp to Barrier Knob via Gertrude Saddle in Fiordland …
Here’s a list of these 72 tramps plus 15 short walks. …HikingScenery.com
One Reply to “Edward Hathway’s 72+ hikes in New Zealand”
Ooh, thanks for posting this. It was a mad year but I’ll always remember it for these amazing walks.