World → North America → PACIFIC N.W.
One of the best hiking regions in the world is the
PACIFIC NORTH WEST
Definitions of the Pacific Northwest region vary and there is no commonly agreed upon boundary, even among Pacific Northwesterners. A common conception of the Pacific Northwest includes … Oregon and Washington as well as British Columbia.
- fantastic coastal adventures including the West Coast Trail, our #1 hike in the world
- fantastic alpine hiking
- easy access via Seattle, Portland or Vancouver
- best weather June through September. But there are many great options year round due to the comparatively mild climate
WHY WE LIKE THIS REGION
- gorgeous temperate rain forest with old growth trees
- plenty of wild life
- very few biting insects
- it’s a photographers dream: sandstone monoliths, towers, and other unique geological structures
- the tourist infrastructure is quite well developed
- surprisingly, public transport is excellent. You can reach many of the best hikes by ferry, public bus and shuttles
- First Nations cultural and spiritual associations are wonderful
- fascinating coastal geology and tidal pools
- by far the biggest downside of this region is the weather
- it can rain, rain, rain any day of the year
- hypothermia is a real risk if you get wet
- backcountry permits are required on most major hikes. Many limit the number of hikers allowed to start each day.
- mobile phone service is sporadic
- bears will be attracted to your food. Take every precaution.