World → Asia → Nepal
One of the best hiking regions in the world is
NEPAL Top 10
Nepal has eight of the world’s ten tallest mountains, including Mount Everest, Sagarmatha.
Click over to see our top 3 independent hikes as of 2019.
AT A GLANCE
- “The abode of the Gods”
- Everest, Annapurna, Kanchenjunga, Machhapuchhare, Makalu
- every serious hiker wants to travel to Nepal
- though challenging, Nepal is a wonderful tourist destination
- English is widely spoken
- the best “tea house treks” in the world
- on popular routes, no need to carry food nor tent
- challenging hiking, but treks available for all levels of ability and experience
- October to mid-December often the driest months. Cold but afternoons are often clear. Snow on the passes.
- Spring season is not as clear, but is warmer. And greener.
- on a few of the drier Tibetan treks you can hike nearly year round
- ground transportation is slow and very dangerous. It’s best to fly in Nepal, if you can.
WHY WE LIKE THIS REGION
- Nepal is fantastic. Unforgettable. There is much to see and do aside from the breathtaking landscapes.
- best months to trek are Oct-Nov (post-monsoon) & April-May (pre-monsoon). Happily this does not conflict with the busy summer months in the northern hemisphere.
- forests of rhododendrons, isolated small villages, birds, temples, monks and monasteries
- fascinating traditional life of mountain people
- new routes are still opening
- formerly restricted areas are being opened too for guided trekkers
- Hindu and Buddhist cultures, architecture and history
- the culture of the mountain people
- easy to hike independently, hire a porter, or sign on with a trekking company
- travel in Nepal is still relatively inexpensive
- hassle free visa to all citizens worldwide on entering the country
- no dangerous wildlife
- photography is fantastic in the clear Himalayan light
larger map – Wikipedia
By far the biggest downside to hiking the Himalayas is altitude sickness. Hikers die each year. Symptoms begin as low as 3000m (9800ft). Many of our recommended hikes climb over 5000m. On some it is difficult to descend quickly. Rescue often not available. Do not hike high unless willing to accept this risk.
- if you do not have enough time to acclimatize to altitude, hike at lower elevations (the view looking UP at the mountains is gorgeous too)
- hard walking, laboured breathing, intense sun at high altitude can compound the problems of a hikers suffering AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness)
- hypothermia is more frequently a problem than sun stroke. Bring gear to stay warm and dry.
- it’s essential to avoid frostbite, of course
- we’ve suffered some pretty severe gastrointestinal ailments on the southern side of the Himalaya range despite taking every precaution. (The Tibet side is drier, the risk lower.)
- Kathmandu is polluted and unsanitary. The less time spent there, the better.
- governments in Nepal are mostly disorganized and corrupt
- tourism was devastated by the 2015 earthquake of and COVID-19
- mountain tourism is a reality. We must make the best of it. The consequences, good and bad, for the local people are evident here, more than elsewhere in the world.
- obviously we cannot leave trash behind
- the burning of wood for cooking at higher elevations is a huge problem. Discourage it as much as possible.
- mid-June to September few trek because of rain, mud, leeches, travel difficulties caused by landslides and general lack of mountain views.
- trekking permits are required on many routes and can be a hassle to get. You need advance planning.
- guidebooks quickly get out-of-date
- new tea houses become popular every season. Likely you will decide where to stay each night, as you go
- unless things have changed, Dolpa, Kanchanjunga, Manaslu and Mustang do not allow independent hiking. You must sign on with a trekking company.
- no worries any longer regarding the Maoists, members of the Communist Party of Nepal. They are a legitimate political party. In the past hikers were sometimes asked for “donations”, a trail tax. That’s rare now. Even at the height of civil war, tourists were mostly protected.
BEST HIKES IN NEPAL are listed on our Asia page.
20 Replies to “NEPAL”
Nepal is Best know for its beautiful nature and resources.
You can feel free to visit: Annapurna Base Camp Trekking for updated information about Nepal and its culture.
Visit http://www.breakfreeadventures.com for the special hiking package to Nepal.
Everest Base Camp Trekking is one of the most famous trekking destinations for adventure-seekers in Nepal. The Everest Base Camp Trekking is also referred to as Everest Base Camp –Kala Patthar Trek as the EBC Trek goes through the Kala Patthar region of the Everest. While the Everest Base Camp Trek offers a great opportunity to witness the world’s tallest mountain peak Mount Everest from a very close distance, the trek is also equally adventurous. The major highlights of the Everest Base Camp Trek are Namche Bazaar, popular region of Kala Patthar and the Everest Base Camp itself. Everest Base Camp Trekking traverses through the majestic looking mountains clad with snow, colorful monasteries, the famous Namche Bazaar and the conserved region of the Sagarmatha National Park. This also provides one with the opportunity of viewing at the Mountain Everest, world’s tallest mountain peak, from incredibly close distance.
The trek begins from Kathmandu with a flight to Lukla or the Tenzing-Hillary Airport. Flight to Lukla itself can be no less than an adventure as the airport is enlisted as the most dangerous airport in the world, by virtue of the location, altitude and topography. The real Everest Base Camp Trek commences from Lukla, when you start your trek to Namche and the Base Camp crossing many Sherpa villages and settlement areas on the way. Another feature of the Everest Base Camp Trek is the opportunity to visit Gokyo Valley, the Gokyo-Ri or the peak and the beautiful Gokyo Lake. Gokyo is one of the most beautiful villages in the Khumbhu region of Everest. Also, the popular Cho-La Pass lies along the Everest Base Camp Trek which offers great views of the mountains including the all famous Everest.
The total cost for the trip or the tour depends on several factors as per your convenience. The preferred type of accommodation in Kathmandu or Pokhara makes a difference in the totality of the cost (budget to 5 star accommodations). The chosen mode of transport also affects the cost of your package, for example the prices may vary widely from flight compared to private car / van, tourist or local buses. The number of guides and porters too affect the total cost of your trip. For these reasons the same route / tour price may vary considerably. If you want any further information regarding price then you can also visit our official site.
Nepal offers varieties of hiking such as Everest, Annapurna, Mustang, Langtang, Makalu, Dolpo Trails.
NEPAL PLANET TREKS – YOUR TRIP PLANNER
Holiday in Nepal, Tibet & Bhutan
Nepal Planet Treks and Expeditions focuses on exceptional customer support and service at value-for-money costs.
We offer personally customized itineraries and activities tailored to the requirements of the client.
Specializing in organizing tours, trekking, mountain expeditions, peak climbing, rafting, paragliding, bungee jumping, cycling and sightseeing in Nepal, we are your best choice for your trip to this wonderful country
The friendly team members of Nepal Planet Treks and Expeditions consist of highly experienced adventure travel and mountain experts with high levels of practical knowledge about all that Nepal has to offer the visitor.
Contact us with your requirements and we will have pleasure in sending you an ideal itinerary with costing.
We make sure that you will get the most wonderful time of your life when you travel with Nepal Planet Treks…we promise you.
Team Himalaya p,ltd
Team Himalaya , a dynamic adventure and leisure tour company based in the heart of Kathmandu, Nepal.
Although the company established for few years but with professional management and expert guides and staffs who have served in this tourism trade for more than a decade in different fields, our of hundred of Trekking and Travel companies in Nepal Himalaya it is always a challenge and confusion in choosing the right agents to enjoy the holidays and adventure in Himalaya destination of Nepal, Bhutan and Tibet. http://teamhimalaya.com/
Nepal is one of the rich country in natural Resources, mountain, hills, lake, river, jungle many more natural beauty that is why it is one of the top county where trekking and tours is possible.
Nepal is a Paradise for Adventure Travellers. Check out this amazing blog for Everest Base camp Trekking.
Nepal Lion Tours and Treks Pvt. Ltd is a fully registered trekking company in Nepal. We are a highly qualified and professional trekking, expeditions and climbing company. We are a local Agency operating tours and trekking for more than 11 years.
for peak climbing in Nepal, you can visit https://www.peakclimbingnepal.com
Nice picture Collection. Love to read Thanks For writing This Wonderful Blog
Thanks for the informative blog
Frolic Adventure offers all-mountain base camp treks such as Annapurna base camp, Everest base camp and more with some adventure trekking, short and easy trekking packages in Nepal.
Visit Adventure White Mountain Pvt .Ltd for best hike adventure company in Nepal
Everest three passes trek- crossing three ultimate high altitude passes to Everest base camp.
Best Trekking and Tour agent in Nepal.
website – https://www.himalayanfrozen.com/annapurna-base-camp-trek
mail – email@example.com
Luxury Hiking to Everest Base Camp and Kalapatthar provides joy and experience with alpine comfort hotels, wonderful three 8000m giant Himalayas, and vigorous Sherpa society.https://missionhimalayatreks.com/trips/luxury-everest-base-camp-trek
Thank you for sharing such a wonderful article. https://www.dreamhimalayan.com/trip/manaslu-circuit-trek