One of our top 10 day hikes in the world
- 9 miles / 14.5 km with 500 m ascent / 1100 m descent
- there are many alternate trails, of course
- best during the summer months while the gondola is operating
- trailhead is Selva di Val Gardena
Why We Like This Hike
- fantastic vistas of jagged Dolomite peaks
- family friendly as you can get to elevation with a cablecar
- Rifugio Puez is a good destination for lunch or hot drinks
- extend the walk if you have good weather, time and energy
- there are many more great hikes nearby
- dangerous in wet or snowy conditions
- dangerous in case of lightning storm, common in the afternoon
- there might be snow patches at highest elevations even late in the summer
- cablecar is sometimes shut down
- some will argue that nearby Tre Cime di Lavaredo is even better
If you opt to take the chairlift up, one-way cost in 2018 was about $30. (Parking free between 8:30am and 6:30pm with the purchase of a gondola ticket,)
We don’t know of any hiking guides for this day hike. But you don’t need one.
- arrange transport to Selva di Val Gardena, in the Upper Val Gardena area of the Dolomites. It’s about 30 kilometres (19 mi) east of the city of Bolzano.
- from town you can take the Dantercepies chairlift
- at the top, head towards Rifugio Jimmy
- from Jimmy take the no. 2 trail up and up
- Continue to Rifugio Puez
- from Rifugio Puez return to town via trail no. 16
- Val Gardena tourist information
Best Trekking Guidebooks
- Cicerone Shorter Walks in the Dolomites
Tobacco topo maps are for sale locally. But you probably won’t need one if only doing this hike.
Best Travel Guidebooks
Best Trip Reports
Click PLAY or see the Puez Geisler Naure Park on YouTube.
Click PLAY or watch Randy Hoffmann’s hike on YouTube.
Click PLAY or watch some trail running up high on YouTube.
Questions? Suggestions? Leave a comment on this page. Our editors will reply.