Once called the most dangerous pathway in the world.
- Caminito del Rey is near Ardales in the province of Málaga, Spain, Andalusia
- first built 1905, the walkway had fallen into disrepair and was partially closed for nearly 15 years due to deaths
- re-opened in 2015
- new pathway still offers a walk of 2.9 km
- 1 metre (3 ft) wide climbing over 100 metres (330 ft) above the Guadalhorce river
- the entire trip from the start at the town of Ardales to finish at Álora would be about 8km and might take 3-4 hours
- originally built to provide access to workers at hydroelectric power plants Chorro Falls and Gaitanejo Falls
World → Europe → Spain → Caminito del Rey
For details click over to our Caminito del Rey information page.
Only 20 hikers / day are allowed access. The BLM is considering an increase to a maximum of 96 per day .
Getting a permit is the BIG problem.
- on the Utah-Arizona border, halfway between Page, Arizona and Kanab, Utah in the Paria Canyon/Vermilion Cliffs Wilderness
- in 2014 about 50,000 applied for permits. Only 15% were granted.
- Wire Pass trailhead located in North Coyote Buttes permit area of the Vermilion Cliffs National Monument
- 5.2 miles return
- you can go any month of the year, if you can tolerate the heat
World → North America → S.W. USA → Arizona → The Wave
For details click over to our Wave information page.
Glacier North Circle is one of our top 10 hikes in the world.
- 7 days, 6 nights recommended
- 65miles (104km) plus side trips
- best months July-Sept
- medium difficulty hiking
- recommended for experienced multi-day hikers
- Highline Trail
- Ptarmigan Tunnel (120ft long)
- Swiftcurrent Mountain Lookout
- Iceberg Lake
- wildflowers late June to early August
- great day hikes elsewhere in the Park
- likely to see elk, mule deer, moose, mountain goats & bighorn sheep. For wild life, this Park is second only to Yellowstone, in our opinion
World → North America → Rockies → North Circle
Click PLAY or watch a 1-minute preview on YouTube.
For details click over to our Glacier North Circle information page.
New Zealand is our #1 hiking destination in the world.
Infrastructure is terrific.
The Great Walks of New Zealand are just a few of the terrific tramping adventures available.
The Great Walks network was established by the Department of Conservation in 1992.
Stewart Island / Rakiura
Click PLAY or watch it on YouTube.
- fantastic vistas of jagged Dolomite peaks
- family friendly as you can get to elevation with a cablecar
- 9 miles / 14.5 km with 500 m ascent / 1100 m descent
- Rifugio Puez is a good destination for lunch or hot drinks
- extend the walk if you have good weather, time and energy
- there are many more great hikes nearby
World → Europe → Dolomites → Italy → Puez-Odle Altopiano
For details click over to our Puez-Odle Altopiano information page.
Sunshine to Assiniboine is one of our top 10 hikes in the world.
- Mt. Assiniboine Provincial Park accessed only on foot or by helicopter. The chopper flies to Canmore (more expensive) or Mt. Shark trailhead (less expensive)
- good chance to see mountain goats, bighorn sheep, elk and mule deer, pikas, chipmunks & hoary marmots
- you will see hordes of Columbian and mantled ground squirrels.
- huge, heavenly alpine meadows
- Assiniboine Lodge is a treat. The pub is open to all.
- colourful wild flowers
- walk the continental divide
- Magog Lake (40 sites) is the most popular base campground for good reason. Easy access to many day hikes. But there is no longer any overflow area). Mule deer sometimes wander between the tents.
- Wonder Pass to Marvel Lake is wondrous and marvellous
World → North America → Rockies → Sunshine to Assiniboine
Click PLAY or watch a 1-minute introduction on YouTube.
For details click over to our Sunshine to Assiniboine information page.
Hiking out of the small town of Göreme is one of our top 10 day hikes in the world.
Every traveller dreams of getting to the the “fairy chimney” rock formations of Cappadocia. Göreme makes an ideal base.
- weird and wonderful geology
- walk out of your Göreme accommodation directly to a trail … or take a taxi to the Rose Valley Panoramic viewpoint (15 minute drive uphill from town). There is a small entry fee.
- most of these trails will be crowded with walkers
- see all of the main attractions in one day: Rose Valley Panoramic viewpoint > Rose Valley > Çavuşin > Love Valley > Uchisar Castle > Pigeon Valley > Göreme
World → Asia → Turkey → Göreme
For details click over to our Göreme, Cappadocia information page.
BestHike.com is a list of the best hikes on each continent.
Best of the best we link from our Top 10 page.
Click PLAY or watch it on YouTube. Please SHARE and SUBSCRIBE. Thanks !
Eric Hanson is the man behind BackpackingTV.
In this video he details his personal favourite 7 multi-day hikes anywhere.
Click PLAY or watch it on YouTube.