381 completed surveys
- SEX | 67% Male, 33% Female
- AGE | 2% <20, 18% 20-24, 27% 25-29, 18% 30-35, 10% 35-39, 11% 40-49, 10% 50-59, 5% 60-69
- AVERAGE AGE | 34 (σ = 11.8)
- AVERAGE BASE WEIGHT (START) | 19.57 lb / 8.88 kg (σ = 9.4 lb / 4.3 kg)
- AVERAGE BASE WEIGHT (END) | 16.51 lb / 7.49 kg (σ = 6.4 lb / 2.9 kg)
- AVERAGE AMOUNT SPENT ON GEAR | $1,647.35 (σ = $1,245.86)
- FINISH – PAIRS OF SHOES USED (AVERAGE) | 4.2 (σ = 1)
- FINISH – AVERAGE AMOUNT SPENT ON ENTIRE HIKE | $6,053.75 (σ = $2,573.66)
What resource did you find MOST VALUABLEwhen planning your hike?
- Halfway Anywhere* 🙂
- Yogi’s PCT Handbook
- Craig’s PCT Planner
Five year deal will bring 45,000 attendees to Denver, delivering estimated $45 million economic impact
Emerald and its show partner, Boulder’s Outdoor Industry Association, announced this year they were pulling the winter and summer Outdoor Retailer trade shows out of their 21-year home in Salt Lake City, citing Utah political efforts to downsize recent national monument designations
, specifically the 1.35 million-acre Bears Ears National Monument created by the Obama Administration in December 2016.
Utah can blame Rob Bishop (R) and Jason Chaffetz (R)
The @UtahGOP hate the outdoors.
The hobbies.expert site posted advice and a list of recommended hiking shoes for men and women.
Here are their 6 most important considerations.
I’m currently testing the new Columbia’s OutDry Extreme technology. So far, so good.
Seems to me this kind of rainproofing is the future.
In the meantime, here are some good tips on staying dry and warm on the trail.
Edward Dorian is a student of Outdoor Environment and Sustainability Education in the U.K.
He put together some good reminders for us all. Check it out.
The Seven Principles:
Plan Ahead and Prepare
Travel and Camp on Durable Ground
Leave What You Find
Dispose of Waste Properly
Respect Wildlife and Farm Animals
Minimise the Effects of Fire
Be Considerate of Others