Mount Rainier, Washington
Mount Elbrus, Russia
Mount Fuji, Japan
Mount Shasta, California
I believe Kili is the only one of those 6 that you MUST do with a guide.
Check our list of best trekking peaks. Kili and Ranier are on it.
Yeesh. North Face ultra-runners Mike Foote and Mike Wolfe.
Watch: Running 600 Miles Across The Rocky Mountains
by site editor Rick McCharles
Locked and loaded. I land in Leh September 11th, 2015. I’ll be doing Markha and other local treks.
AT A GLANCE
- the most popular hike in Ladahk, northern India, bordering Tibet
- easy access out of Leh
- 6-8 days
- 111km (69mi)
- early June to mid-October
- big risk of altitude sickness
- 2-3 high passes (4900m-5200m)
- several nights at very high altitude
- sleep in tent or in “homestays”
- frequent flights from Delhi. Infrequent flights from Srinagar and Jammu.
- hike independently or with a Guide
- check the confusing tourist visa requirements for India. Some nations can get a visa-on-arrival at airports.
by lupus alberto
Click PLAY or watch 3minuteAdventures – Markha Valley Trek, Ladakh
That’s the toughest itinerary, starting out of Stok village rather than the more popular trailheads of Spitok or Zinchen.
We’ve updated our top 10 section. With input from Kraig Becker, of the Adventure Blog. He’s recently back from his second climb of Kili. 🙂
#1) Mt. Kilimanjaro, Tanzania 5895m
#2) Cotopaxi, Ecuador 5897m <wiki><pb><sp>
#3) Island Peak, Nepal 6189m <wiki><pb><sp>
#4) Mera Peak, Nepal 6476m <wiki><pb><sp>
#5) Stok Kangri, India 6153m <wiki><pb><sp>
#6) Huayna Potosí, Bolivia 6088m <wiki><pb><sp>
#7) Misti Volcano, Peru 5822m
#8) Mt. Toubkal, Morocco 4167m <wiki><pb><sp>
#9) Mt. Rainier, USA 4392m <wiki><pb><sp>
#10) Mont Blanc, France 4810m <wiki><pb><sp>
Aconcágua, Argentina 6,960.8m can be a walk-up. But not many would be willing to call it a trekking peak. 🙂
Trekking peaks are mountains under 7,000 metres (22,970 ft) climbable by anyone with a moderate amount of mountaineering experience and minimal gear.
Others considered for the top 10:
- Chimborazo, Ecuador 6,268m <wiki><pb><sp>
- Khüiten Peak, Tavan Bogd, Mongolia 4374m <wiki><sp>
- Mt. Elbrus, Russia 5642m <wiki><pb><sp>
- Lhakpa Ri, Tibet 7045m <pb>
Leave a comment if your favourite walk up peak is not listed.
The Hiking Life:
Distance : 60km (72km if you include an ascent of Jebel Toubkal).
Avg.Time : 4–6 days
Start / Finish: Imlil
Regular public transport available to and from Marrakech.
Late spring and early autumn are the ideal times to do this trek. Summer, despite the heat and lack of water, is peak season and is often inundated with foreign trekking groups. …
Toubkal Circuit, Morocco, 2008
There are a number of guidebooks available. Route finding is not all that difficult. You can do it alone unless you opt to climb the highest mountain in north Africa on the same trip.