We’ve added a information page for those who might want to do Gosainkund and Helambu in the future.
One of the best hikes in the world
Gosainkund & Helambu
Ridge walk with sacred lakes, high Laurabina pass and Shivapuri National Park.
AT A GLANCE
- 6-8 days
- 3rd most popular trekking area of Nepal after Everest & Annapurna, but comparatively uncrowded
- majority of hikers hire a guide, porter guide and/or porters but it’s easy to hike independently
- sleep and eat in basic lodges (tea houses)
- mid-October to mid-December best months
- beginning of March to mid-May next best. (Laurabina pass MIGHT stay closed until early May. Many Langtang trekkers do Gosainkund after Langtang.)
- days are short in the Autumn. There’s much more light in the Spring.
- tea houses are not expensive, but many spend more than they anticipate on luxuries. We spent about $30/day in 2014. Cheapskates about $20/day.
- be clear — you might have to QUIT if by bad luck or rushed ascent you suffer altitude sickness (Acute Mountain Sickness or AMS).
- some suffer respiratory problems, headache and fatigue.
Click PLAY or watch David Vanneste’s solo, independent highlights Feb 2014 on YouTube. Off season. Lots of snow. A lovely edit.
Gosainkund and Helambu information page