Hiking out of the small town of Göreme is one of our top 10 day hikes in the world.
Every traveller dreams of getting to the the “fairy chimney” rock formations of Cappadocia. Göreme makes an ideal base.
- weird and wonderful geology
- walk out of your Göreme accommodation directly to a trail … or take a taxi to the Rose Valley Panoramic viewpoint (15 minute drive uphill from town). There is a small entry fee.
- most of these trails will be crowded with walkers
- see all of the main attractions in one day: Rose Valley Panoramic viewpoint > Rose Valley > Çavuşin > Love Valley > Uchisar Castle > Pigeon Valley > Göreme
World → Asia → Turkey → Göreme
For details click over to our Göreme, Cappadocia information page.
Chris hikes the Unita mountains in Utah most summers.
Over the years, he’s put together loops to make logistics easier.
In 2017 they did 80 miles as a circuit.
Check his detailed trip report for specifics on where they camped.
related – Uinta Highline Trail – documentary
Do YOU know these terms and abbreviations?
- Camel Up
- Cold Soak
- Type 2 Fun
Click through to see them defined:
There’s no debate.
The Land of the Long White Cloud Aotearoa is by far the single best hiking destination on Earth.
North Island? South Island? Both are great. And both much different.
The most compelling evidence that New Zealand has EVERYTHING a hiker could want is with photos:
New Zealand is insanely great for hikers. It’s safe. It’s clean. Trails are not crowded. It’s terrific for kids.
There’s no risk of altitude sickness as the glaciated peaks are at low elevation.
Best months are mid-November through mid-April for most treks.
More information on our New Zealand information page.
Our favourite tramp in New Zealand is the volcanic Tongariro Circuit. You’ll feel like you’ve entered Mordor in Lord of the Rings.
See our Tongariro Circuit Information page.
Start planning your New Zealand hiking vacation right now.
San Carlos de Bariloche, normally called Bariloche, is a major tourism centre with skiing, trekking and mountaineering facilities.
The city is very popular with Brazilian, European and Israeli tourists.
And with ME. 😀
The BEST HIKE there is the Nahuel Huapi Traverse. Challenging, for sure.
Here’s a terrific, comprehensive overview of how to get to Bariloche. And what to do when you get there:
Airbnb host in in Morioka, Iwate, Quinlan explains that it’s better to section hike parts of the NEW 1,000km Michinoku Coastal Trail as much of it is placed alongside roadways.
Click PLAY or watch it on YouTube.
It does look tempting.
The Overland Track in Tasmania is one of our top 10 hikes in the world.
Click PLAY or watch a 1 minute introduction on YouTube.
The best & most famous walk in Australia.
AT A GLANCE
- surreal, unique Tasmanian vistas
- pretty lakes, tarns and waterfalls
- exiting by ferry it’s minimum 62km (38.5mi) carrying a pack plus many possible sidetrips without a pack.
- Elevation Gain: +4,793 ft / 1,461 m
Elevation Loss: -5,160 ft / 1,573 m
- 8000-9000 walkers / year in the past
- 60 walkers start / day 2018 in high season
- Oct 1 – May 31 Overland Track Pass reservations online
- access by public transportation
- easy-moderate hiking IF the weather cooperates
- add challenging sidetrip peak scrambles if the weather is good
- Nov – early May best months
- possible to hike year round (snow travel during the winter)
- 7-nights recommended. Start Ronny Creek. Finish Cynthia Bay.
Read more on our Overland Information page.
Adventure Alan’s detailed review likes the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 best for a 2-person backpacking tent.
Best VALUE is the Big Agnes Tiger Wall UL2.
Click through to see the entire list:
BEST BACKPACKING TENT 2023 | LIGHTWEIGHT & ULTRALIGHT
Click PLAY or watch it on YouTube.
The Mulanje Massif, also known as Mount Mulanje, is a large inselberg in southern Malawi.
Sapitwa Peak, the highest point on the massif at 3,002 m, is the highest point in Malawi. …
The Massif is popular for hiking and climbing, and has several mountain huts scattered across it which are maintained by the Malawi Mountain Club and the Malawi Forestry Department.
If you want to know more, the Mountain Club posted a detailed document with options for hiking from 1 – 5 days.
I’ve never been to O’ahu (Oahu). Sadly.
But it’s high on my list.
The hike that jumps to mind first is the Haʻikū Stairs, also known as the Stairway to Heaven or Haʻikū Ladder.
Sadly, those 3000 stairs are closed. Plans are to have them removed as a safety precaution.
Backpacker magazine posted their list of BEST HIKES on the island.
- Our Top Hike on O’ahu: Diamond Head
- Best Rainforest Hike on O’ahu: Manoa Falls Trail
- Best Hike on O’ahu for Views: Kuliouou Ridge Trail
- Best Scramble on O’ahu: Olomana Trail
- Best Adventure Hike on O’ahu: Moanalua/Kamananui Valley Trail
- Best Climb on O’ahu: Kokohead Lookout
- Best Hike on O’ahu for Hot Weather: Aiea Loop Trail
AllTrails users rank Koko Crater Tramway to Kokohead Lookout as even better than Diamond Head.