Mark Whitman of Kandoo Adventures helped us put together an information page on the Vilcabamba Trek in Peru.
The original Lost city of the Inca. A great alternative to the Inca Trail.
AT A GLANCE
- Begin in the Vilcabamba Valley
- Walk 5 days to Machu Picchu
- dry months May-September are best
- Perhaps the toughest Inca trek
- Three high passes
- Hike with a guide or independently
Why We Like This Hike
- Finish at one of the world’s most incredible destinations – Machu Picchu
- No permit required
- Peru is one of the world’s best hiking nations
- Very quiet – you won’t see another hiker
- A more authentic Peruvian experience than the crowded Inca Trail
- Trek on well preserved Inca trails
- Visit rarely seen Inca ruins, including Vitcos-Rosaspata and Ñust’a Hisp’ana
- Great challenge for experienced hikers
- Dramatic scenery and snow-capped peaks
- Hot springs near the end of the trek
Click through to learn more.
Click PLAY or watch Kandoo Adventures’ itinerary on YouTube.
We’re looking for trip reports from independent hikers. Reply to this post if you know of one.