by site editor Rick McCharles
Locked and loaded. I land in Leh September 11th, 2015. I’ll be doing Markha and other local treks.
- the most popular hike in Ladahk, northern India, bordering Tibet
- easy access out of Leh
- 6-8 days
- 111km (69mi)
- early June to mid-October
- big risk of altitude sickness
- 2-3 high passes (4900m-5200m)
- several nights at very high altitude
- sleep in tent or in “homestays”
- frequent flights from Delhi. Infrequent flights from Srinagar and Jammu.
- hike independently or with a Guide
- check the confusing tourist visa requirements for India. Some nations can get a visa-on-arrival at airports.
Click PLAY or watch 3minuteAdventures – Markha Valley Trek, Ladakh
That’s the toughest itinerary, starting out of Stok village rather than the more popular trailheads of Spitok or Zinchen.