Unforgettable trekking in one of the most beautiful areas of Tibet. A pilgrimage between two holy sites.
Ganden Monastery to Samye Monastery.
AT A GLANCE
- one of the most popular treks in Tibet
- 4-5 days
- best months April – October
- tenting is required
- independent hiking is illegal, though some foreigners do it anyway
- Ganden Monastery 4,300m to Samye 3540m is a traditional pilgrimage route
- you’ll suffer many hassles traveling in totalitarian China
read more on our new Ganden to Samye information page
We’ve updated (and moved) that page.
It’s been 15 years since we’ve done it. Leave a comment if you know of a more recent trip report.