Last trekking day. Namche to Lukla.
by site editor Rick McCharles
It was a long but comparatively easy descent from Namche to the airport at Lukla.
The highlight was the series of suspension bridges.
I’ll miss the Buddhist culture and monuments.
But I was looking forward to a barber shave, “one of the best travel bargains in Asia”.
Are you interested in doing an independent Everest trek? … Some advice:
- you need a minimum of 14 days. More is better.
- acclimatization to altitude is the most serious danger
- Oct-Dec weather is cold and clear
- Mar-May the weather is warmer, but skies may be overcast
- best hike is the 3 Passes, next best Everest Base Camp, third best Gokyo
- if you fly, buy your flights Kathmandu-Lukla return in Kathmandu. You can change the date of your return, if necessary.
- no need to bring camping gear, but warm clothing and sleeping bag are essential
Step 1 would be getting a book for planning. Both the Trailblazer and Cicerone guidebooks are excellent.
Farewell Lukla. The Everest region has the finest mountain scenery I’ve ever seen.
see all photos from day 17
One Reply to “Everest trek – day 17”
wow! i enjoyed ur travel log and the photos to the everest regioin…. great scenery!