Course Director Dave Adlard is just back from setting up the course.
Click PLAY or watch some “highlights” on Facebook. Looks gnarly, as they used to say.
Expedition Alaska starts June 28th.
Great news. 🙂
Expedition Alaska has a film crew.
LIKE and SHARE this photo on Facebook.
I’m planning to volunteer for Dave Adlard’s NEXT expedition race. Social media. Photos. Video.
June 28th – July 4th, 2015.
Over almost 7 days, teams will undertake a 340 – 600 km (200 – 350 miles) expedition over some of the most beautiful, epic and challenging terrain on Earth.
Racers will use a map, compass and their own wits to navigate their way over a (mostly) unmarked route by mountain biking, rafting, paddling, trekking, canyoneering, coasteering, glacier travel, orienteering, trail running, fixed ropes, and a few other surprises through the amazing expanse of Alaska’s Kenai peninsula!
Having just completed 14 days on the popular Langtang, Gosainkund and Helambu Nepal route, We’ve added a Langtang trek information page for those who might want to do Langtang in the future.
World → Asia → Nepal → Langtang
One of the best hikes in the world
4000m+ valley north of Kathmandu, parallel to the Tibet border.
Plenty of challenging side trips up high.
AT A GLANCE
- mid-October to mid-December best months
- beginning of March to mid-May next best. (Laurabina pass on the nearby Gosainkund trek MIGHT stay closed until early May. Many Langtang trekkers do Gosainkund after Langtang.)
- the reputation is “generally easy hiking” on good trails with a light pack. Some challenging, potentially dangerous sidetrips possible.
- it is easier than the other main trekking areas of Nepal in that maximum altitude is lower
- Langtang trails are not expensive, but many spend more than they anticipate on luxuries. We spent about $30/day in 2014. Cheapskates about $20/day.
- be clear — you might have to QUIT if by bad luck or rushed ascent you suffer altitude sickness (Acute Mountain Sickness or AMS).
- some suffer respiratory problems. Headaches. Or fatigue.
Why We Like This Hike
- mighty peaks of Langtang (7234m) and Ganesh (7446m) as well as a sprawl of endless 6000m+ summits
- sacred lakes of Gosainkund in the nearby Helambu region
- wonderful photographic opportunities
- colourful Hindu, Buddhist and mountain cultures
Langtang trek information page
It’s always available from the pulldown menu under ASIA.
7-days of continuous physical and mental challenge, almost no sleep, bad food, questionable water. Who invented this sport? 🙂
To stagger the start of Expedition Idaho, Race Director Dave Adlard, set a unique prologue.
Teams had to climb the toughest waterslide, starting over if anyone slipped.
If successful, they then took a victory lap … running the Lazy River. Backwards. 🙂
This is even tougher than it looks.
Click PLAY or watch it on YouTube.