I did the John Muir Trail in 2021 and had a good chance to check out thru hiker’s gear in person.
Most surprising to me were the increased number of sun hoodies.
Mac posted his annual Pacific Crest Trail Hiker’s Survey, interviewing 654 thru hikers.
- Average backpack size 53.9 litres
- Average sleeping bag rating 16.8°F (-8.44°C)
- Most popular app ~ FarOut Guides (formerly Guthook)
Most Common PCT Backpacks
Most Common PCT Shelters
Most Common PCT Sleeping Bags/Quilts
Most Common PCT Sleeping Pads
Most Common PCT Insulated Jackets
- Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer 2 – Hooded (Men’s/Women’s)
- Enlightened Equipment Torrid Apex (Men’s/Women’s)
- Arc’teryx Cerium LT Hoody (Men’s/Women’s)
Most Common PCT Shells
- Outdoor Research Helium II (Men’s/Women’s)
- Frogg Toggs Ultra-Lite 2
- Montbell Versalite (Men’s/Women’s)
Click through for details.