The southeast face of Mt. Kanchenjunga, the world’s third highest mountain, can be viewed from the pass, which is also a base camp for those aspiring to scale the mountain. …
The basic itinerary:
- Drive from SILIGURI TO YUKSOM
- YUKSOM to SACHEN (10 km hike)
- SACHEN to TSHOKA (7 km hike)
- TSHOKA to DZONGRI (10 km hike)
- Rest and hike to DZONGRI LA PASS (4417 m)
- DZONGRI to THANSING (10 km hike)
- THANSING to GOECHA LA PASS and back (14 km hike)
- THANSING to TSHOKA (16 km hike)
- TSHOKA to YUKSOM (17 km hike)
- Drive back to SILIGURI
Seems it’s impossible to do this trek independently.
But rather than sign on with a company from home, you could simply show up in Gantok or Darjeeling and start asking around the various agencies to join a group that will give you the best rate.
India Hikes, for example, charged about US $230 in 2021.