We updated our Fitz Roy information page after our February 2019 visit to El Chaltén.
That town is booming. More and more travellers are taking to the many trails directly out of town.
- close to the southern tip of South America
- Los Glaciares National Park (Spanish: Parque Nacional Los Glaciares)
- jumping off point is the bustling tourist town of El Calafate. Fly or bus via Buenos Aires.
- From El Calafate you can bus to the trailhead at El Chaltén (“Argentina’s Trekking Capital”).
- the best hike is the “Around Fitzroy” trek as described in Lonely Planet Trekking in the Patagonian Andes – 38km (23.6mi) plus sidetrips. But most hikers simply do day trips in and out of El Chaltén
- notoriously bad micro-climate. The big peaks are often shrouded in cloud.
- no reservation, trekking fee nor permits required
Click through to our Fitz Roy information page.