Sendero Transversal is by far the best hike in remote Chiloe.
I cycled in to the Lake Chaiguata trailhead staying only 1 night and did some day hiking.
It’s a unique and impressive Park. Very well organized.
Tantauco Park (Spanish: Parque Tantauco) is a 1,180 km2 (456 sq mi) private natural reserve on the south end of Chiloé Island in Chile.
The park was created by Chilean business magnate and President of Chile Sebastián Piñera in 2005 …
The park is open to the public with two campgrounds and a 150 km (93 mi) network of hiking trails. …
Tantauco Park is an attractive ecotourist destination due to the remarkable biodiversity of its nearly untouched Valdivian temperate rainforest and the rather easy public access. Precipitations in the area average about 2,500 mm (98 in) annually. …
Details on the Sendero Transversal.
- 4 – 8 days
- hike only 1 direction (counterclockwise)
- download the map
- start Lake Chaiguata, finish Inío
- hut to hut
- maximum 8 hikers / day
- exit by floatplane or boat
- peat bogs, Tepu forests, Cypress trees
- plenty of boardwalk
- trails well maintained, but you’ll be getting wet
- only about 7000 people / year visit this Park
- there are a couple of other multi-night options
Click PLAY or watch on trip on YouTube.
Home page – parquetantauco.cl (Spanish)
WikiTravel – Parque Tantauco
Wikipedia – Tantauco Park