1) Gore Range, Eagles Nest Wilderness, Colorado
2) Gap Run, Shenandoah National Park, Virginia
3) Jones Hole, Dinosaur National Monument, Utah
4) Indian Point, Garden of the Gods Wilderness, Illinois
5) Redwood Canyon, Kings Canyon National Park, California
6) Sal Hollow, Mammoth Cave National Park, Kentucky
7) Sahale Glacier Camp, North Cascades National Park, Washington
8) Charon’s Garden, Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge, Oklahoma
9) Yankee Paradise, Cumberland Island National Seashore, Georgia
10) Mt. Cabot, White Mountain National Forest, New Hampshire
From the village of Å (the last letter of the Norwegian alphabet) you can catch the slow ferry back to Bodø. About 4 hours.
By far the best hiking guidebook is Hiking the LOFOTEN ISLANDS by Kristin Folsland Olsen. Published 2017 in English, it will help you decide which hikes to do. Most are day hikes and many are scrambles. No need to order it online. It’s widely available on the islands.
The weather is dreadful. For any 7 day period during the hiking season you may have several days of serious wind and rain. These should be rest days if you have time.
If you have your own vehicle — or decide to rent a car — you can go when and where you want. That’s ideal.
Karsten Heuer’s journey was intended to show that such a system of parks and corridors is feasible. He set out in June 1998 from Yellowstone Park, Wyoming, on the beginning of a 3,400 kilometre hike that would end, 18 months later, in Watson Lake, Yukon Territory.
Along the way, he faced personal problems, including the breakup of his relationship with the woman who had planned the journey with him. He came to terms with difficult public relations problems when he spoke to loggers and others with a stake in the economic exploitation of wild lands. And, above all, he overcame extraordinary physical challenges: ferocious storms, avalanches, apparently impassable rivers in full flood, and bears that mistook him for dinner.
Accompanied by occasional human companions and a remarkable border collie named Webster …