World → Asia → Turkey → Göreme
One of our top 10 dayhikes in the world
Every traveller dreams of getting to the the “fairy chimney” rock formations of Cappadocia. Göreme makes an ideal base.
AT A GLANCE
This day hike is our recommendation for seeing the best of the best:
Rose Valley Panoramic viewpoint > Rose Valley > Çavuşin > Love Valley > Uchisar Castle > Pigeon Valley > Göreme
We recommend you follow our green arrows for the best hike. (Of course there are many other options.)
- weird and wonderful geology
- walk out of your Göreme accommodation directly to a trail … or take a taxi to the Rose Valley Panoramic viewpoint (15 minute drive uphill from town). There is a small entry fee.
- most of these trails will be crowded with walkers
Why We Like This Hike
- Göreme National Park and the Rock Sites of Cappadocia are World Heritage sites
- start on the Rose Valley trail (5km), perhaps the best of all
Rose is popular with cyclists, too.
- visit the village of Çavuşin
If you haven’t yet seen enough Church caves by this point in your trip — you might want to stop at the World Heritage site Caveusin Kilisesi.
- Love Valley is … interesting
- stop at impressive Uchisar Castle. There’s a small entry fee.
- to finish it’s downhill back to Göreme. A nice but often crowded walk.
- some are worried about personal safety in Turkey. But in 2017 we found it very safe. There are many, many tourists.
Turkey is a comparatively inexpensive nation for tourists. Good value.
Everyone is in Göreme for the same reason. Ask at your hotel for advice.
Best Trekking Guidebooks
In 2017 we couldn’t find a good hiking guidebook in Göreme. Leave a comment if you know of one.
Best Travel Guidebooks
Best Web Pages
Best Trip Reports
- BestHike editor Rick McCharles (2017)
- Hike Bike Travel – Rose Valley
- Atlas & Boots – 8 SHORT BUT SWEET CAPPADOCIA HIKES
- Backpacker Report – Hiking in Cappadocia
- Duane Heck – strapping our boots on in Cappadocia
- Earth Trekkers – Best Hikes in Cappadocia with Kids
- Anywhere we Roam – Hiking in Cappadocia – Our three favourite walks
Click PLAY or watch the Balloons of Cappadocia on YouTube.
Questions? Suggestions? Leave a comment on this page. Our editors will reply.