World → Asia → Turkey → Göreme
One of our top 10 day hikes in the world
Every traveller dreams of getting to the the “fairy chimney” rock formations of Cappadocia. Göreme makes an ideal base.
AT A GLANCE
This day hike is our recommendation for seeing the best of the best:
Rose Valley Panoramic viewpoint > Rose Valley > Çavuşin > Love Valley > Uchisar Castle > Pigeon Valley > Göreme
We recommend you follow our green arrows for the best hike. (Of course there are many other options.)
- weird and wonderful geology
- walk out of your Göreme accommodation directly to a trail … or take a taxi to the Rose Valley Panoramic viewpoint (15 minute drive uphill from town). There is a small entry fee.
- most of these trails will be crowded with walkers
Why We Like This Hike
- Göreme National Park and the Rock Sites of Cappadocia are World Heritage sites
- start on the Rose Valley trail (5km), perhaps the best of all
Rose is popular with cyclists, too.
- visit the village of Çavuşin
If you haven’t yet seen enough Church caves by this point in your trip — you might want to stop at the World Heritage site Caveusin Kilisesi.
- Love Valley is … interesting
- stop at impressive Uchisar Castle. There’s a small entry fee.
- to finish it’s downhill back to Göreme. A nice but often crowded walk.
- some are worried about personal safety in Turkey. But in 2017 we found it very safe. There are many, many tourists.
Turkey is a comparatively inexpensive nation for tourists. Good value.
Everyone is in Göreme for the same reason. Ask at your hotel for advice.
Best Trekking Guidebooks
In 2017 we couldn’t find a good hiking guidebook in Göreme. Leave a comment if you know of one.
Best Travel Guidebooks
Best Web Pages
Best Trip Reports
- BestHike editor Rick McCharles (2017)
- Hike Bike Travel – Rose Valley
- Atlas & Boots – 8 SHORT BUT SWEET CAPPADOCIA HIKES
- Backpacker Report – Hiking in Cappadocia
- Duane Heck – strapping our boots on in Cappadocia
- Earth Trekkers – Best Hikes in Cappadocia with Kids
- Anywhere we Roam – Hiking in Cappadocia – Our three favourite walks
Click PLAY or watch the Balloons of Cappadocia on YouTube.
Questions? Suggestions? Leave a comment on this page. Our editors will reply.