Click PLAY or watch a 1 minute introduction on YouTube.
Our favourite multi-day tramp in our favourite hiking region of the world — glorious New Zealand.
AND our top volcano hike worldwide.
by Jeff Pang
AT A GLANCE
- one of our top 10 hikes in the world
- non-stop superb hiking
- mostly volcanic & desert environs
- 34+km (19+mi) depending on route
- 3-days, 2-nights minimum
- option to climb a volcano, or two
- medium difficulty hiking, with challenging sections
- wonderful variety of scenery
- Dec – Mar best months
- maximum elevation Red Crater 1886m (6188ft)
- very crowded on the Tongariro Crossing section
Read more on our Tongariro Northern Circuit information page.