Our #1 day hike in the world.
Also known as Hardergrat
(… grat is ridge in German)
- walk to your accommodation in the hiking mecca of Interlaken
- 24km total … about 18km on a sharp ridge
- 10+ hours. Physically and psychologically challenging.
- no water available. Carry all you need.
- not an official trail, but it’s easy to follow in good visibility
- about 1500m above the lake
- permits not required
- it’s popular with trail runners who do about 35km entirely on foot. They start at either end.
Why We Like This Hike
- in good weather, views of the Jungfrau’s big peaks; Eiger, Mönch, Jungfrau, Schreckhorn, Finsteraarhorn
- the advantage of being able to get transport both up and down
- on the same trip, hike nearby Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald, Schynige Platte and more
- many see Ibex up here
Click PLAY or watch Jackson Groves on YouTube.
Click over to our Harder Ridge information page for details on how you can organize this adventure for yourself.