One of the best hikes in the world is the Laugavegur
(Landmannalaugar to Skógar route)
AT A GLANCE
- Iceland‘s best hike
- weird and wonderful landscapes
- best route is Skógar – Landmannalaugar 77km (48mi) in 4-6 days in either direction
- shorter options 55km (34mi) or 22km (13.6mi)
- tent or sleep in huts
- permits not required
- steep rough, rocky and slippery slopes
- in good weather, this trek is only moderately difficult
- up to 100 hikers starting each day during high season July and August
- it can be dangerous in bad weather. About every second year someone dies.
Click PLAY or watch Alastair Humphrey’s highlights on Vimeo.
Check our new Laugavegur information page on how to organize this adventure for yourself. I’m hoping to get there August 2015.